Print equipment is an investment towards the future and efficiency of your organization, but in order to maximize your return you’ll need to ensure your digital copiers and printers are properly cared for and maintained. Keep things up and running with the following tips and keep your equipment and staff operating at peak efficiency.
Copier Care Tips
- Size matters. Choose a copier based on your unique needs and print volume, rather than price. Equipment that is under or over utilized will likely cost more in repairs and maintenance as system components wear and breakdown prematurely.
- Train your employees. Ensure all staff are aware of the features and functions of your copier and know how to use it. Proper training can help you get the most out of your investment while preventing damage or waste from misuse.
- Clean your copier. Dust, food particles and liquids can damage electronics and moving parts if they come in contact with the interior of the machine. Prevent spills by placing a ban on food and drinks from the copier area, and implement a cleaning routine that consists of the monthly vacuuming of paper drawers, dusting of the exterior, and a weekly wiping of the glass platen with a soft, non-abrasive cloth.
- Be careful. Paper clips, coil binding, staples and other sharp materials can scratch the platen.
- Conserve energy. In addition to lowering your energy costs, powering down your copier when not in use will help to extend its lifespan. Encourage employees to turn the unit off before leaving the area, or program the unit to automatically fall into hibernation mode after a set period in time.
- Erase the past. The internal hard drive should be permanently destroyed or erased at the end of its useable lifespan, or before the machine leaves the premises.
- Partner up. Partnering with a Managed Print Services (MPS) provider gives you the freedom to focus on growing your business, while they look after the routine care and maintenance of your print fleet.
Contact us today to learn how more about keeping your print environment running smoothly.