The old adage is true – without order, there is chaos. Business rules create structure, and help to define measurable quantities of productivity, usage and profit. They have become so refined, that even the smallest of tasks may now be tracked, quantified and improved.
One area of business that is often overlooked is office printing. As a fundamental part of any organization, print costs are thought of as a necessary expense, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room for savings. Rules based printing, implemented by a Managed Print Services (MPS) provider, can help by cutting costs, reducing waste, and increasing productivity; here’s how.
The Benefits of Rules Based Printing
Once you gain an understanding of how your operation utilizes your print network, it’s easier to find opportunities for improvement. Some of the benefits you’ll experience include:
- Improved productivity, with less downtime and a more efficient layout
- Less waste
- Cost savings
Rules Based Print Techniques
Common, effective techniques include:
- Restricting color printing by user or department
- Default two sided printing
- Default black and white printing
- Determining the most efficient printer for large print projects
The three key steps to the successful implementation of a rules based print initiative are:
- Take inventory. Determine how many, and what type of printers you have, and identify the age and make of each. Many businesses use more than one vendor, making it hard to negotiate the best price.
- Calculate expenses. Take stock of your invoices, from consumables to maintenance. It’s especially hard to look for a great deal on paper or consumables when you require a different type for each printer.
- Evaluate current practices. Determine which employees or departments are printing the most, and what their requirements are. Optimize printing by using the lowest cost printer that will do the job, and restricting who can print in high resolution or color.
A professional office print assessment, including an inventory of equipment, a review of recycling practices, and measured usage, is the first step towards implementing an effective rules based print initiative. Choose an experienced MPS provider who understands office organization and the latest print technology to help you determine the best course of action for your unique office environment, and start saving today.